I am, by nature, a pretty opiniated person. BUT, I also understand that there are other opinions out there and the difference between them. Just like when my family initially had issues about me adopting. At first I was upset and thought, why can't they just be happy for me. Then I realized, knowing my family the way I do, they would come around. While they weren't being supportive exactly the time I needed them, when push came to shove, they would be there.
Of course everyone knows that I am addicted to message boards. My husband says stay away from them and I agree with him. BUT they are like a drug, I can't stop. The best part is getting into an argument online. What a pointless and big waste of time that is. It's the worst kind of argument. You really can't win, lol.
This brings me to the couple of things I actually hate about adoption.
1) People who take what they read on the internet about adoption as the gospel truth.
Are you kidding me? Whatever your reading can be written by a 10 year old kid in Alaska who is being homeschooled and thought this would be fun to screw with people's minds (nothing against homeschooling, just a reference to the fact that he could be on the computer a lot). Haven't you people ever seen Sleepless in Seattle?
2) People who read message boards and ignore the 50 things that people have gotten wrong, but CLING to the one thing they got right in the last month.
This comes into play with China. There is a website that posts rumors. That's the name of the website RUMOR, but yet even though this person starts off almost all of her posts as "This is a rumor" and gives it a rating there are still people that twist it around to fit their needs and get everyone in an uproar. This is how good sites like this get shut down. Eventually this well meaning person will give it up. She won't share the information she gets, which is right a lot of the times, because people take it and play some warped adult version of "telephone" and by the time it gets back around the "rumor" is completely skewed.
3) People who think they know everything.
Ok people, you don't know me, you only know what I tell you. I, especially after this rant filled post, am not one to START rumors online. I may reiterate what I have been told, but I ALWAYS say, "This is what I got from so-and-so, as second hand information...". Here's an example, I posted something recently that my social worker said directly to me in a meeting (and said that it was fine to share this) about there being "an immediate need for papeready adoptive parents in Taiwan". Her words, not mine. She also said, feel free to tell people, let them know where we are etcetc. She wanted us to go the Taiwan route, but we had already decided on Guatemala. So I share this information on a message board, on a thread that is talking about information regarding other countries. Then some lady posts something to the effect that "I find it hard to believe...there is no way they are desperate for paper ready families...Taiwan is overrun with people jumping ship from China...there is no way they need families." Ok, first of all are you IN Taiwan? Do you work at an orphanege there? Second, I never claimed either of those, I said my social worked passed this info on to me and said pass it along as I see fit. And I did. Don't post and basically call me a liar when you don't say how you KNOW these things I just wrote are not true. According to my very reputable social worker they are, and unless you are higher up then her, I'm going to stick with her opinion.
I know, it sounds grumpy, and also leans towards the agreement with my husband that I should just stay off message boards, but they are a good source of information, just take them with a grain of salt.
Monday, January 29, 2007
Some things I HATE about adoption
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment