I'm sure everyone is reading about the raid on the Hogar in Antigua. I hope that everyone will send extra prayers vibes for the care givers and babies. It's such an injustice to these wonderful people who are caring for these children that their own government has turned their back on. I am totally for reform in Guatemala adoptions but what people who aren't currently in the loop need to realize is that Guatemala has no plan in place to take care of the children of Guatemala who would otherwise go to a wonderful home somewhere else. This is a 3rd world country. They do not have "resources" as we do in the United States such as welfare, food stamps, subsidy, free schooling for low income families, houseing etc. I know people think "well why are they having babies if they can't afford them". Well, my opinion is that birt control, healthcare etc. is an expense that these people cannot afford, it is not like the United States. I don't beleive there are "free clinics" and "planned parenthod". Most of these people are uneducated with very little life skills besides what has been passed down from generation to generation. In all reality, I don't think that adoption in Guatemala is that different from the US. Except maybe the mothers here who choose their adoptive parents get paid. I've seen personally several couples who lost several thousands of dollars in failed domestic adoptions. In China you are required to bring at least $3000 CASH to the orphanege that you adopt from and give to the director. They also solicit things such as air conditioners, computers, vcr's, dvd players, etc. from adoptive parents when they visit the orphanege. How is this different from the "alleged" corruption of adoptioni n Guatemala? I'm sure there are corrupt adoptions there, it happens everywhere. But does that mean just because you don't like adoption or because an organization (UNICEF) is offering you a boatload of money to suspend these adoptions you can raid a legitimate orphanege and take the children who are happy and healthy and well cared for and waiting for their forever families, most of whom have already been identified? This hogar has all the correct documentation for all of these children and for operating their facility. What is the crime? The crime is with the corrupt Guatemala government. A government who can kick you out of PGN because the corner is folded on a document or the ink is the wrong color. If they do suspend adoptions and get in line with UNICEF and thier "plan" how are they going to take care of all of the orphaned children? Where are they going to go? Guatemalan's don't want to adopt their own, so who will? Will they languish in poorly equipped orphaneges until they are of age to go find work? If adoptions are suspended, what happens to the 4000 + children that are adopted to the US every year? Guatemala is roughly the size of Tennessee. Think about what 4000 children means. I just hope everyone takes the time to say a prayer for these children, their caregivers and the parents who are frightened and wondering what becomes of their children. I am devastated and I know that Myah is safe now. I can't imagine what they are going through.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment