The reason I picked this movie is because I love movies that are semi-autobigraphical. I'm that way about books too. I love to read and watch Biographies and True Crime. Last night I watched "The Texas Cadet Cheerleader Murder" or whatever it was called on Lifetime because I couldn't sleep....lol. Anyway, back to the movie.

"Almost Famous" is written and directed by Cameron Crowe (who I LOVE). He also did Jerry Maguire and is married to Nancy Wilson of the rock band Heart. Cameron started out as a rock writer from Rolling Stone which was the ultimate rock critic magazine of the 1970's. This movie is based on his real life experiences traveling with bands such as The Allman Brother and Lynrd Skynrd. The "extras" on the DVD are AWESOME and shows pictures from Cameron's own collection. I love it because something like that could never happen now, but back then it was cool. Reason #12344 I should have grown up in the 70's. The soundtrack is also terrific.
About the movie: The movie focuses out William Miller (Patrick Fugit) and how he gets the opportunity to go on the road (at 16 mind you)with a fictional group Stillwater and cover them for Rolling Stone magazine. Philip Seymour Hoffman plays Lester Bangs, who is a real person and one of Cameron's mentors. William travels with the band, extends his stay because of trouble getting an interview with the band and much to the chagrin of his mother back home who continually calls him and reminds him not to take drugs and behome for graduation (played by the wonderful Francis McDormand). William befriends the band and befriends the "groupies" which are made up of a wonderful cast of young ladies, especially Kate Hudson, called "Band Aids". They are alos based on a real group of ladies that Cameron was friends with that called themselves "The Flying Garter Girls."
The cast is young and great and theres a lot of people that have become pretty famous since the movie. The soundtrack rocks....even the fictional band "Stillwater". If you like true stories (and this one is true, just names changed, etc) and are interested in the 70's music scence you'll love this movie. My favorite part is in the beginning when William introduces Penny to Russell and they pretend like they've never met before even though the have a "past". Kate Hudson's actions are great!
Let me know what you think. OH and don't forget to watch the DVD extras!
Friday, January 16, 2009
Friday Movie Review~ Almost Famous
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comment:
WHAT??? Need birthday pics, PRONTO!
Post a Comment