Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Holy Cow, it's a post from me!

Here is the testimonial I wrote for the Studio where I work out!

I had taken a few Zumba classes at the YMCA in 2009 and thought it was a lot of fun, but I was overweight and lazy. Mainly Lazy, lol. I lost a little weight on my own with moderate exercise and diet and was feeling ok summer 2009. Then winter came. I gained all of the weight; I lost PLUS 10 more pounds. 165+ pounds on a 5’4 woman is not my idea of feeling good about myself. So around my 37th birthday I decided, ok, let’s try this again. I attended Zumba classes at my church to get back in the groove of things, feeling comfortable around friends (I do not have the best rhythm or coordination!).

I still wasn’t completely motivated yet, but watching late night TV (and probably eating ice cream) I saw the Zumba infomercial with Beto. I’m tapping my foot along and watching everyone and they say, “Next we’re going to travel to Ohio…….” And I saw signs of Dayton! Next thing I know there is the lady I took Zumba from at the YMCA in 2009 and Doug and Joan Jones showing their before and after pictures and talking about how Zumba has changed their life. Really? LIFE changing? Ok, I’ll bite……Called up Mr. Beto Perez personally; ok not really, just the 800 phone number advertised and ordered the DVD’s, toning sticks and ALL! I was so excited when they came but I also thought, I have to check out this place in Vandalia and see how a place can be devoted to Zumba…..is it really that big?

From the moment I walked in the door in April I have felt like I have a whole new set of friends. Everyone is so nice and encouraging every day. No matter what you might look like that day or the mood you’re in, someone at The Studio will say something nice to you and make you smile. If they don’t, then get a Locoba Drink with protein from Corey at Locolicious…..that makes everyone smile! I have never met so many people who are so happy to exercise and show others how it’s done. Trust me, I was skeptical. I did EVERYONES class. Even wore my heart monitor, stride monitor, and found that no matter how much fun I was having, I was consistently burning 600-800 calories a Zumba session. Even Beginner Zumba!

So I was hooked, again, but I was going to try a different approach. Let’s see how out of shape I REALLY am. Here are my numbers from May 21, 2010 (after about a month of regular Zumba classes 2-3 times a week):
Thigh avg. 34.33 Hip Avg. 25.66 Tricep Avg. 22 Body Fat % 31.3

Ok, I’m a woman between the age of 30-39 and that puts me and my 155 lbs, BELOW AVERAGE! I had lost 10 pounds over the month so I was doing good, feeling good, and noticing more energy so I thought, let’s turn up the volume a bit and do some personal training with Doug. I really had no idea what to expect. I had done personal training before and hated every minute of it. I only saw minimal results and was miserable each session. I started the second week of June and because of the “Summer Sizzle” going on I did my measurements again, about a month from the first time.
Thigh avg. 27.6 Hip Avg. 21.3 Tricep Avg. 20.3 Body Fat % 27.50

I have never been so happy to be on the cusp of “average” in my life! And I was down 5 more lbs!

I have to say that Doug has made personally training so fun, but so hard. He encourages you to do beyond what you think is your best and congratulates you when you surpass what you thought your body could do. The routines are never dull, always something different, and I always come out feeling like I have accomplished something incredible. I WANT to go back! Half the time I don’t want to leave after personal training, I want to stay and Zumba!

My last measurements were taken at the end of the “Summer Sizzle” contest and I was anxious to see the results. I had been doing Zumba for 5 months now and personal training with Doug for about 10 weeks. I have to say I was pleased with myself without seeing the numbers. I was wearing a bikini at my pool; I was fitting into size 10 jeans! But, as an afterthought, here’s my numbers:

Thigh avg. 24.6 Hip Avg. 16 Tricep Avg. 16 Body Fat % 23.4

I AM AVERAGE BABY!!!!!!!!!!! Just have to cross over that “23” threshold and on paper I am ABOVE average! LOL!

So what more can I say about the 6 months I have spent at the Studio? I love them all! They are great people, friends, business owners, and Zumba activists that just want to get your booty moving! I love them so much I have signed up for their certification course to become a Zumba Basic Instructor. I’m hoping this letter gets me brownie points with them…….JUST KIDDING!

I’m so happy that everyone there has accepted me and my family into The Studio Fit Family and there is nothing fake about it. I feel good when I get there and I feel great when I leave. I also can’t wait to go back! So thank you Doug, Joan, Marianne, Geon, Jennifer, Lynn B, Connie, Heather, Kris, Stephanie (who has the most rockin’ abs btw) and Corey for making my experience so wonderful that I want to continue on with it and spend 5 days out in the middle of the ocean with you people in January for the Zumba Cruise!

No comments: